Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Anti-Catholicism

One thing that goes hand-in-hand with being Irish is being Roman Catholic. I come from a very religious family on both my mom and dad's side. All of my uncles and aunts were highly involved in the church growing up, many of them being alter boys and family friends to their priests. I have a cousin in seminary school studying to become a priest, an uncle who was in the Franciscan Brotherhood, and a great aunt (who my mom is named after) who was a Carmelite Nun (Mother Mary Seraphine) and is up for beatification as well. Needless to say, I grew up going to church, attending CCD classes, and completing all the sacraments.

One things that has bothered me throughout the years was blatant racism against Catholics. People are always talking about racism against black people, Jewish people, Muslims, etc. but never about Catholics. I have witnessed many times people mocking my religion to my face -especially, in regards to alter boys and molestation by priests. I'll never forget seeing something in the news about a kid who drew cartoons of Jesus on the cross in his school newspaper mocking Him by putting an Ipod in His ears or other awful things. I would like to see some public policy recognize this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment