Thursday, October 21, 2010

My Relationship With Fist Pumping: Or A Lesson on Terrible Life Decisions



When I was in my senior year of high school, I would meet up with a group of my friends every Sunday and drive to Philly to go clubbing. The trip was an hour long and we would always go to Club Shampoo on Willow Street between 7th and 8th St. At 4am and after something like 5 hours of house music, we'd blast Baltimore Club Music out of the windows of Joey T's souped up Honda and go eat at the Great American Diner in Bucks County before returning to NJ to go straight to school for the day.





Let me stop here and explain something...I didn't know what a 'guido' was until I came to Clemson, but the boys we went with could probably be classified as them...They called themselves the "B-Boys" and they had ridiculous blowouts, fist-pumped, and wore Ed Hardy t-shirts...It's actually quite embarrassing admitting this went down in my Jersey life.



At the time, I felt pretty bad ass when my normally iron-fisted parents actually allowed me to go clubbing into the wee hours of the morning in a relatively dangerous part of Philly. Looking back on it, it's pretty shocking they let me out of the house at all with all the trouble I got myself into...

I'm pretty amazed looking back at the so-called fly ass club I thought I was going to -The place was a shit hole. They had a shampoo room where I remember one time dancing waist-high in foam and definitely feeling some chick's underwear on the ground...The couple next to me were not grinding. One time we went and Joey T's car got completely stripped in a matter of ten minutes being in the club by some guys who clearly should have been working for Nascar. I also have to admit to seeing some guy definitely having sex outside with a girl that was passed out between two pillars...so yeah, that was probably a rape in progress...but that's beside the point.

Enough said.

Unfortunately, I have to admit that this rite of passage of mine was during a very happy time. I was completely carefree and excited about life. I loved listening to the classics like "Do It Girl, Put Your Leg Up" and "Watch Out For The Big Girl", or even losing my hearing for 30 minutes after leaving the club -oh, and of course eating monte cristos at 5am.

No comments:

Post a Comment