Sunday, October 10, 2010

Splendor in the Grass

What though the radiance which was once so bright
Be now for ever taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind...
-William Wordsworth
The poem above is from William Wordsworth's 1807 "Ode, Imitations of Immortality from Reflections of Early Childhood". He was a British romantic poet and I heard this poem in an old 1961 film called Splendor in the Grass starring Warren Beatty and Natalie Wood. It is another great movie I watched as a kid and I feel it exemplifies where I am in life now. My story seems to be a story of a woman trying to return to her past, her innocence and struggling -knowing that she can't go back to what has already passed, but instead "find strength in what remains behind". I wish to take the experiences my parents laid down for me as a child and do the same for my kids. I want them to be exposed to musicals and old Hollywood and I want them to know about their Irish heritage and take them on day trips to make them feel special.

No comments:

Post a Comment