Friday, October 8, 2010

Interpreting Carousel and Gene Kelly in my Personal Life

As I previously stated, carousel has been a large influence in my life. When I was in Kindergarten I requested one day that all my teachers call me Julie instead of Kara and I refused to respond to anything else. Coincidentally, later in life, I got my wish when I chose the name Julia as my Confirmation name.
What does this time period and these movies say about the person I am today?

Although these Hollywood musicals represent a part of my youth, popular music and movies of the time also played a role. I was not sheltered from rock n roll and television; however, I believe I chose to include them in this mystory to influence any one who reads this to open their minds to something so original and something that remains a closed chapter of our nation's past. Today, I am not as interested in musical film because it doesn't have the nostalgic simplicity and innocence of the time. Movies like Chicago, Sweeney Todd, Moulin Rouge, Across the Universe mostly deal with the vices of life - jail, murder, prostitution, drugs...These movies were an escape from that, and also a wish for a returning to this simpler time.

No comments:

Post a Comment